The Ripple Effect of One Yes
Looking back, some of the biggest changes in my life didn't start with a detailed plan.
They started with a simple yes.
A yes to something unfamiliar.
A yes that felt a little uncomfortable.
A yes that ended up changing far more than I ever expected.
That's what happened to me this past February.
The Yes I Almost Didn't Say
Back in February, an
opportunity came up for a two-week trip to Florida.
On paper, it should
have been an easy yes. But it wasn't.
Like a lot of moms,
my mind immediately started listing reasons why it might not be the right time.
The kids need you. Two weeks is a long time. Should you really be doing this
right now?
Like a lot of moms,
I felt the pull between taking care of everyone else and saying yes to
something for myself.
But there was
something else too. A pull. A knowing. The kind that's hard to explain but
impossible to ignore once you've learned to pay attention to it.
So I said yes.
And that yes changed
my life in ways I never could have imagined.
What Happened While I Was Away
The trip itself
wasn't even two straight weeks away from my family.
Halfway through, I
flew home for the weekend. I got my fix of seeing everyone, hugged my kids,
spent time with my husband, and then headed back to Florida to finish the trip.
That ended up being
important.
Because it showed me
something I hadn't fully realized before. I could take time for myself and
still be deeply connected to the people I love. The two things didn't compete
with each other the way I thought they might. They could exist together.
Two weeks is also a
long time.
Long enough to step
outside of your normal routines. Long enough to see your life from a different
perspective. Long enough to realize how many things you're doing simply because
you've always done them that way.
Being away broke the
rhythm of my everyday life.
The things I
listened to. The way I spent my downtime. The habits I moved through without
even thinking about them. For the first time in a long time, I had enough space
to pay attention to how things were actually making me feel.
Without all the
usual routines, I started noticing what gave me energy and what drained it.
What inspired me. What I wanted more of. What I was ready to leave behind.
I came home feeling refreshed. More energized. More excited about my
life. More excited about my goals. More excited about the future than I had
felt in a long time.
I came home to the same life.
The same family.
The same responsibilities.
But I wasn't the same woman who had left two weeks earlier.
The Trickle Effect
Here's what nobody
tells you about saying yes to something that stretches you.
It rarely changes
just that one thing.
It starts showing up
everywhere.
It wasn't just that
I felt refreshed.
I started making
different decisions.
Decisions about how
I spent my time. What I gave my attention to. What I wanted more of. What I was
ready to leave behind.
Since coming home,
the way I spend my time looks different. The way I protect my mind looks
different. The way I approach my goals looks different. The way I move through
my day looks different.
One phrase has
stayed with me ever since that trip:
How you do anything
is how you do everything.
That simple idea
raised my standards.
The way I show up
for my health. The way I work on my goals. The way I take care of my home. The
way I spend my time. The way I keep promises to myself.
I'm more intentional
now. More aware. More protective of the things that matter.
That trip opened a
door I didn't even know I needed to walk through.
And months later,
the effects are still showing up in ways I never expected.
What I Believe About That Opportunity
Looking back, I don't think that opportunity showed up by accident.
During that season, I had been praying for
clarity. Asking for direction. Looking for something I couldn't fully name yet.
And when the opportunity appeared, it felt
like an answer I almost missed.
I could have easily scrolled right past it. I
could have convinced myself it wasn't practical. I could have talked myself out
of it before I ever gave it a real chance.
But I said yes.
And I believe God has a way of placing
opportunities in our path when we're ready to see them.
We just have to be willing to say yes when
they arrive.
And my life has not
been the same since.
The Question I Want to Ask You
What keeps showing
up in your life right now?
What opportunity,
invitation, idea, or nudge keeps finding its way back to you?
Maybe it's a trip.
Maybe it's a class. Maybe it's a business idea. Maybe it's a goal you've been
putting off. Maybe it's something much smaller.
Whatever it is, pay
attention.
Because sometimes
the things that change our lives don't arrive looking life-changing. They
arrive looking like a simple opportunity to say yes.
If You're In This Season Too
If something has
been pulling at you lately, pay attention to it.
Not every
opportunity is meant for you. But some of them are.
Sometimes growth
begins with one decision. One conversation. One flight. One application. One
small yes.
And once you say it,
you may discover it changes far more than you ever expected.
Because one yes —
the right yes — can create a ripple effect through your entire life.
Maybe this is your reminder to pay attention to what's
showing up in your life right now.
The opportunity.
The invitation.
The idea you can't seem to shake.
Sometimes the next chapter of your life doesn't begin with
a giant leap.
Sometimes one small yes is all it takes to change the
direction of everything. 🤍
-Rachel



Comments
Post a Comment