It Wasn't a Girls Trip I Was Craving. It Was This.

A few years ago, I remember feeling this deep craving to get away.

At the time, I thought what I needed was a girls trip.

I wanted connection. Time away. Space to breathe. I had spent years deep in motherhood, raising three kids, juggling schedules, and working full time. We had also just experienced the loss of a family member and a very close friend only six weeks apart. Life felt heavy and loud all at once.

So I started reaching out to friends.

But everyone was in their own season of life too. Sports schedules. Pregnancies. Divorces. Sharing custody. Sick family members. Young kids. Busy careers. Full calendars. Heavy mental loads.

No one could really make it work.

And somewhere in the middle of trying to plan the trip, I realized something important:

What I was actually craving wasn’t a girls trip.

It was stillness.

I didn’t need packed itineraries, restaurants, or nightlife. I needed quiet. I needed space to hear myself think again. I needed a nervous system reset in a way I didn’t even fully understand yet.

That realization changed everything.


The Most Out-of-Character Thing I Had Ever Done

One Friday, I found a women’s yoga, hiking, and meditation retreat online.

Four days later, I was on a plane by myself.

At the time, this felt completely outside my comfort zone. I didn’t know anyone going. I had never done something like that alone before. I was nervous. I felt guilty leaving my family. But underneath all of that, I knew I needed it.

So I went.

And it ended up being one of the most grounding weeks of my life.







The “Friends for the Week” I Never Expected

One of the best parts of the trip was the women I met there.

A group of strangers from completely different walks of life who all showed up carrying something. Looking for something. Needing something.

We hiked. We meditated. We did yoga. We sat quietly. We talked about life for hours. We laughed. We rested.

And somewhere in the middle of all of it, I started to relax. I could literally feel my nervous system calming down.

The retreat gave me enough space to hear my own thoughts again and reflect on everything we had been carrying through that season of life.

Enough space to reconnect with myself underneath the noise of everyday life.

I think a lot of women lose that connection for a while in motherhood.

You become the person holding everything together. The scheduler. The caretaker. The one remembering all the things. And eventually, you stop hearing yourself underneath all of it.

That week brought me back to myself in a way I deeply needed, but didn’t fully know how to access anymore.


Sometimes You Can’t Wait for Everyone Else

One of the biggest lessons that experience taught me is that sometimes you have to stop waiting for everyone else to be available before you take care of yourself.

I would have loved a trip with my friends.

But if I had waited for everyone’s schedules to align perfectly, I probably never would have gone anywhere at all.

And I think women do this all the time.

We wait for the perfect timing. We wait for someone to go with us. We wait until everyone else is ready too.

Meanwhile, the part of us asking for rest, clarity, healing, or space keeps getting pushed further down the list.

That trip gave me confidence in a completely different way.

Confidence that I could book the flight. Confidence that I could go alone. Confidence that I could create the experience I needed instead of waiting for someone else to create it for me.

That stayed with me long after the trip ended.







What I’d Tell Women Now

Girls trips are beautiful. Friendship matters deeply.

But sometimes the thing we’re actually craving underneath all of it is stillness.

And if that’s what you’ve been craving lately, pay attention to it.

Sometimes the desire for quiet is your body asking you to slow down long enough to reconnect with yourself again.

To hear your own thoughts. To remember what you need. To step outside the constant noise and responsibility for a minute and just be.

That trip reminded me that taking care of yourself is not selfish.

Sometimes it’s the very thing that brings you back to yourself again.


If You’re In That Season Too

If you’ve been craving rest, quiet, space, or a different perspective lately, maybe this is your sign to stop brushing that feeling off.

You don’t always need a huge life change.

Sometimes you just need enough stillness to hear yourself again.

And sometimes the most powerful thing you can do is stop waiting for everyone else and give yourself what you need anyway. 🤍

 

-Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mental Symptoms of Perimenopause Nobody Warned Me About

What Millennial Women Owe the Next Generation: Let's Talk About Perimenopause

WELCOME TO ROOTED AND RISING 🌿✨